SkyScan Storm Detector is the newest and most exciting weather product available anywhere in the world today. It is a handheld instrument with the electronic sophistication to detect lightning as far as 60 Km (40 miles) away and accurately ranges its approach, by both and audible tone and by four LED's which are ranged in kilometres: 0-5 Km, 5-15 Km, 15-30 Km, 30-60 Km, (and in miles: 0-3, 3-8, 8-20, 20-40). Displays in Km and Miles.
This feature tells the user if the storm is moving towards, away, or parallel to their position.
- ACCURACY State-of-the-art electronics and full digital microprocessor ensures accuracy and stability.
- POWER SkyScan can be powered by two 9V batteries, 240VAC adapter (optional), or by a 12V cigarette lighter (optional). Unit has AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF after five hours of continuous operation for extended battery life.
- RANGE SELECT Allows user to choose range at which detected lightning strokes will sound audible warning tone.
- TONE ON/OFF Permits user to turn on/off the audible tone, permitting situations where a distinctive audible warning alarm would be intrusive.
- STORM DISTANCE Indicates range of detected lightning strikes by lighting high-intensity LEDs and sounding of audible alarm. One LED will light for a lightning stroke 30-60 Km (20-40 miles) away, two for a lightning stroke 15-30 Km (8-20 miles) away, three for a lightning stroke 5-15 Km (3-8 miles) away (*highly dangerous situation), and all four for a lightning stike within 0-5 Km (3 miles).
- BATTERY SAVE Allows user to extend battery life. This mode deactivates ALL LEDs, except BATTERY SAVE. SkyScan still provides audible warning of lightning strikes, while extending battery life from 40-50 hours to as much as 75+ hours.
- LOW BATTERY Lights when SkyScan has approximately five hours of operational life remaining in the batteries.
- SEVERE STORM WARNING Alerts user of especially stong thunderstorms or squall lines, which might produce especially strong winds, heavy rains or even tornadoes. SkyScan will sound a continuous alarm for fifteen seconds and lights the SEVERE STORM WARNING LED for a minimum of fifteen minutes. The unit will repeat the process every fifteen minutes until the severe weather activity has cleared.
- AUTOMATIC FALSE TRIGGER ALERT Continuous cycling of all LEDs through start-up routine occurs whenever SkyScan detects background noise levels (such as TVs, computer displays, or other appliances) high enough to interfere with the accurate detection and ranging of lightning activity.
- SKYSCAN CASE SkyScan electronics are protected by a rugged, weather resistant plastic case, permitting use in any typical outdoor application.
- DIMENSIONS SkyScan dimensions are 6.5Hx3.1Wx1.5D. Weight is 10.8 oz. without batteries. Approved by Little League Baseball Inc.