What are pit calculations?
Pit calculations are an important part of the mining and construction industry allowing important decisions to be made. These calculations are often done from the ground with a very manual approach that takes time and a lot of money.
How do pit calculations work?
- A drone equipped with a LiDAR and RGB sensor, such as a DJI Matrice 300 RTK with a Zenmuse L1 is sent into the air and piloted manually or autonomously.
- The drone takes hundreds of images overlapping each other that are later stitched together to create a 3D map of the pit.
- From here the calculations can be made using software, allowing for accurate measurements with ease.
Benefits of using drones
- The volume of pits can be calculated much quicker as the drone has a better vantage point and allows for measurements to be calculated from the data.
- Pit calculations can be completed at a higher frequency as a drone can complete the task autonomously, leaving the workers to do the important jobs.