What is Blast Zone Monitoring?
Blast zones are used in mining when ground material is required to continue the mining operation. The ground is drilled out in a specific pattern, with the drill holes then being filled with explosives. The explosives are set off, resulting in the ground to become loose and easy to work with.
How does Blast Zone Monitoring work?
- Before blasting a drone/s is sent up to monitor it and the surrounding area.
- If there is anyone in the keep out zone the drone operator will notify a team member who will then ensure the person or object is removed.
- Once the blast takes place the drone continues to monitor the site to ensure all the explosives went off and to ensure everything went according to plan.
- After the blast, the drone will stay in the air until the dust settles and its deemed safe for the excavation operation to begin.
Benefits of using drones
- The drone can get closer to the blast zone compared to humans and manned aircraft.
- Multiple monitoring angles can be setup quickly with ease.
- Improved safety before, during, and after blasting as drones can easily detect a person in the keep out zone.