Astro helps you do your best work.
Freefly’s latest commercial drone platform with RTK, 60-megapixel Sony camera, LTE cloud connectivity, mission computer and more. Astro is backed by the team at Freefly with 100,000+ successful commercial drone flights.
- First Responder
There is fast, and Freefly Fast
Freefly loves to go fast, and we love to make our tools a joy to use. Astro is fast and fun.
World’s toughest drones
10 hours of Environmental Tests
Water ingress, Dust Ingress, Cold test, Hot Test
10 hours of Structural Tests
Chassis loading, hinge structural, prop adapter, blade imbalance, handle structural, landing gear load
30 hours of Material Tests
Carbon yield test, Aluminum fatigue tests, Plastic high / low temp test, plastic deformation test
50 hours of Electrical Tests
Skynode Test, IMU test, LTE Modem test, Short Circuit Test, Overvoltage Test, Over current Test, RF test
500 hours of Flying Tests
Software validation test, 500 hour flight test, rate mode test, high speed test, full power test, dingbat test, agressive manuevers test
30 hours of Control Tests
RTK test, FRX Pro test, Herelink test, Futaba test, Crossfire test, PMDDL test
75 hours of Payload Tests
FLIR test, Worksell Wiris Test, A7R4 test, Nextvision Colibri test, Lidar test, Package delivery test
30 hours of Software Tests
Software validation test, app test, ground station test, ecosystem tests
Skynode, Mission Control, & the Suite
A custom version of Skynode powers each Astro. Skynode includes LTE connectivity, onboard linux mission computer, and seamless connectivity to Auterion Mission Control and the Auterion Suite.
The Auterion software platform provides tools for planning, flight, and compliance with robust and secure data management for individuals and enterprise. MAVSDK allows your code in the onboard linux computer or the payload to command Astro. Cloud APIs allow you to bring data from Astro into your workflow.
Enterprise developers can leverage the Auterion Air, Ground, and Cloud SDK, built around the MAVSDK to process data captured by Astro and integrate it in their own workflows.
The mission computer on board Astro provides compute power for real-time data processing. The LTE module brings Astro online and delivers results directly to your cloud.
Designed, built, flown, crashed, fixed, tested, assembled, supported in Woodinville, WA
At your HQ or ours, we’ll teach you best practices and how we operate to ensure the best chance at success.
Realtime and expert help from our US-based support team.
We stock all important spare parts to keep you up and running. Customers can order directly from our webstore 24 hours a day and in-stock parts will ship same or next business day.
We pay attention to what our customers are asking and make it all available for users on our website. No “email for more info” or “our rep will contact you for details”. We value efficiency and transparency.
We partner with top companies to offer more valuable and integrated packages.
Predicative Maintenance & Real Time Aircraft Monitoring
With the optional industrial package, users can have Freefly support and Auterion’s predictive maintenance suite monitoring your Astro live and alerting you to any potential issues before they become real problems. Replace parts as needed, not as planned.
From custom integrations to advice on adapting your payload to an Astro, our Engineering team is available and eager to help.
Astro is equipped with our multi-band RTK system with centimetre level precision. Using the latest GNSS module from u-blox (F9P) our RTK will give you rock solid height and position hold.
Long flight times + intelligent monitoring
Astro batteries come in two sizes and feature the latest 2170 round cell lithium ion batteries. These cells combine high energy density with incredible cycle life. Freefly guarantees at least 500 cycles on our SL series batteries.
The SL series batteries feature an OLED screen that reports key data to the user and communicate with Astro via our open CAN battery protocol so you can track battery health and usage fleetwide.
Precise Control, Easy Integration
Freefly designed an ultra-lightweight 3-axis gimbal to go with Astro that is open architecture so we can adapt to new payloads. The gimbal features a payload quick release so you can quickly switch cameras and a gimbal quick release so you can quickly remove from Astro.
- Wiris Pro
- Sony A7R4
- Flir Duo Pro R
- Custom Payloads
The team at Freefly can teach you all our best tricks for maximizing productivity with drones. We offer customized training packages that will help operators get the job done reliably. Full details coming soon!
Astro is Freefly’s compact industrial drone platform.
Freefly understands the need for quality tools. For more than 10 years Freefly aircraft have carried cinema cameras for Hollywood and high-end productions around the world. It carries valuable payloads in high-pressure situations. We also understand the need for flexibility. Astro’s interface specs are open, making it a flexible and reliable tool to get your new ideas in the air.
The base kit includes Astro, Herelink controller, one set of batteries, chargers, and everything else you need, all packed in a hard case.
- Pilot skill with Manual Mode is required for Emergency Procedures
- Uses two Freefly SL8-Air batteries per flight (one pair included with Base Kit)
- Works with RTK GPS Ground Station
- This kit does not include a payload (e.g. gimbal/camera)
- LTE modem works in the United States
- Astros will be shipped in order reservations were received
- Qty 1 Travel Case with custom insert, packed with:
- Qty 1 - Astro (with landing gear and props)
- Qty 2 - SL8 Fast Chargers
- Qty 1 - Herelink Controller
- Qty 2 - Herelink Controller Freefly custom sticks
- Qty 1 - Vibration Isolated Cheese Plate
- Qty 1 each - Hex drivers, 1.5 mm, 2 mm, 2.5 mm
- Qty 4 - Proptectors
- Spare parts
- Qty 1 - Extra Proptector
- Qty 4 - Spare isolators
- Qty 2 - OEM Herelink controller sticks
- Qty 2 - Rubber hole grommet
- Qty 1 - Herelink charging cable
- Qty 2 - SL8-Air Batteries (ships in separate box from Freefly and is a separate line on the invoice/order)
- Travel Case
- Holds everything included with the Base Kit
- Removable battery tray holds up to 6 Freefly SuperLight batteries
- Custom cut foam, tested to protect against drops from 1 meter
- Submersible and dust tight (MIL-STD 810G)
- Airline checkable
- Controller & Video Transmitter
- Herelink (not NDAA Compliant, specs available here)
- SL8-Air Batteries
- Astro uses two SL8-Air batteries per flight, two batteries included in Base Kit
- Voltage: 21.6 V (6S)
- Capacity: 7.3 Ah, 157 Wh
- Weight: 2.25lbs
- Chemistry: Lithium-Ion
- Auxiliary output: USB-C Power Delivery
- SL8-Air Batteries
- SL8 Fast Charger
- One charger charges one Freefly SL8-Air battery at a time, two included in Base Kit
- Approximate charge time for one SL8-Air battery, from 0%: 90 mins
- Input: 100 / 240 VAC
- Output: 200 Watts
- Supplied with North America power cable (NEMA 1-15 ungrounded, Type A).
- Power cable is replaceable (IEC320 connector).
- SL8 Fast Charger
- Designed and Assembled in USA.