What are hull inspections?
When a ship comes in for a routine inspection or requires a check before entering a country the hull is checked to ensure there is no damage or anything illegal attached to it. This is usually done with divers, taking hours, and costing a lot of money.
How do hull inspections work?
- The inspection crew will drive out to the ship and place the ROV into the water.
- The operator will then drive the subsea ROV around and under the hull of the ship capturing photos and video along the way.
- This footage is inspected during the operation and afterwards to ensure nothing is missed. The drone is washed off and packed away for next time.
Benefits of using Subsea ROVs
- Huge cost savings as people don't need to be sent underneath a ship and even possibly removed from the water.
- People will no longer need to setup, undergo training, and do the dangerous work saving time in the process.
Image: Deep Trekker