We are pleased to confirm that as of 29 September 2016 requirements to fly a drone commercial (under 2kg) will be reduced.
What does this mean for you? Well… if you want to fly a drone under 2kg you will NOT need an operator’s certificate or a remote pilot licence to fly!
However, there are still some necessary requirements you will need to fulfil:
1. Notify CASA five business days before flying - simply complete the online 'notification form' (available from 21 September 2016).
2. Operate within the standard operation conditions:
- Do not create hazard to another aircraft, another person or property.
- You must only fly during the day and keep your RPA within visual line-of sight.
- Do NOT fly higher than 120 metres (400ft) AGL.
- Keep your drone at least 30 metres away from other people.
- Keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes.
- Do NOT fly your drone over an area where you could create potential hazard to people or property.
- Do NOT fly your drone near situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue.
- Fly only one drone at a time.
Taken from: CASA, 2016, 'Commercial unmanned flight - remotely piloted aircraft under 2kg', Australian Government, Civil Aviation Safety Authority.